LASN is a photographically oriented, professional journal featuring topics of concern and state-of-the-art projects designed or influenced by registered Landscape Architects.
Issue link: http://landscapearchitect.epubxp.com/i/150657
Farmville (Continued from page 56) Top Railroad Plaza runs along the west side of North main Street. the track pattern of the 8 x 8-inch Belden pavers is where the old rail line used to be. the route of the old line continues as the High Bridge trail State Park, a wide, level and mostly flat, finely-crushed limestone surface trail. At one point the trail goes over the 2,400 footlong High Bridge (below), 125 feet above the Appomattox River. the building at right, designed as a replica of the old freight depot, is a public restroom. the trees to the right and left of the plaza are Chinese elms. Bottom monument Plaza at the corner of North main Street and 2nd Street has a compass 'Circle Kit' (Cambridge Pavers, Inc.) with directional arms of 8 x 8-inch laser engraved Belden pavers. the historic marker in background reads in part: Site of the Randolph House: Here stood the hotel where general U.S. grant made his headquarters April 7, 1865, and opened correspondence with general R.E. Lee, which terminated in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox. and built on the community's many efforts already underway. HDLA work over the last decade includes a federally-funded multiphase streetscape project; development of a new municipal logo; design and production of 46 signs, and three informational kiosks; development of a thriving farmers market from a building slated for demolition; and connecting these designed elements to Farmville's history. Challenges It was a landscape architect's dream to have the beginning palette Farmville offered. The beautifully preserved building stock was unparalleled. There were many unique elements about Farmville to build upon: the evolution of rail transport, the town's place in Civil War history and the economic successes of the manufacture and distribution of tobacco. At the end of the Civil War in 1865, General Robert E. Lee led his troops down Farmville's Main Street on his way to Appomattox, 20 miles to the west of Farmville. Generals Lee and Ulysses Grant were 58 Landscape Architect and Specifier News both guests of the Prince Edward Hotel on Main Street, of course not at the same time. The hotel was demolished many years ago. HDLA assisted the town in writing multiple grants, preparing detailed narratives, before and after sketches and overall budgets for improvements. HDLA also applied for federal funding through Virginia DOT to pay for the majority of the streetscape improvements. The town provided matching contributions in-kind. There were laborious reviews and approvals to meet local, state and federal requirements. Design Overview HDLA worked directly with a branding and marketing expert to develop a new municipal logo. People don't often think of landscape architecture as providing graphic designs and branding, but it is an integral part of what we do and love at HDLA. The logo represents handles of an old plow breaking ground. Through the late 1800s, Farmville was the largest manufacturer of plows in the U.S. The logo immediately gained acceptance and is now ubiquitous. (Continued on page 60)